Cauliflower Garlic Mash with Goat Cheese & Chives
A fluffy, creamy, buttery pile of potatoes is so hard to resist. But with 36 grams of carbs per cup, and a glycemic index of 90, we’d all be better off passing on the potatoes. In fact, mashed potatoes raise blood sugar levels more than table sugar!
But the good news is that you can make a healthy stand-in for this comfort food favourite – with all of the creamy goodness – using cauliflower! If you’re avoiding dairy, substitute 1/2 to 3/4 cup full or low fat coconut milk for the cheese in the recipe below.
- 1 head organic garlic
- 1/2 tsp. coconut oil
- 2 ounces organic goat/sheep cheese (soft)
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 2 heads organic cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Slice off the top of the head of garlic, drizzle on the olive oil, then wrap tightly in foil, twisting at the top. Bake for an hour and let cool.
- Steam the cauliflower in a vegetable steamer basket until very soft and slightly overcooked. Let drain and cool slightly.
- Squeeze the garlic out of the cloves and mash with the cauliflower and cheeses.
- Top with fresh chives and serve.